West Essex Reserves 0 - 8 Tiptree Heath FC

November 11, 2017 - 1:30 pm at Fairlop Oak Playing Fields Hainault

For official Border League match reports, please click here.


SQUAD : P Hawkins J Tollhurst T Turner C Briggs L Thurston M Hawkins J Chester J Chesney C Green H Hazel J Hart J Newman R Jones C Ward



At the full time whistle a West Essex player shook my hand and said ‘well done your team were devastating in the first half’, I thought he summed it up rather nicely and therefore provided the headline.
The first 20 minutes West Essex looked like a team that would make a game of it, they moved the ball quickly and efficiently with a back line that looked calm and assured on the ball with the ability to work the ball forward well but three goals in three minutes from Heath was to be their undoing.
whilst Heath were un troubled by West Essex, their own back line was solid with Charlie Briggs and Jack Tollhurst combining in a central role often recycling the ball forward with Jack Tollhurst picking out forward players with ease when sending exquisite long penetrating balls forward. Heath were also the team that had the early efforts on goal then 25 minutes in I sensed the tempo go up a notch as the game intensified, Heath were looking slick and threatening with the midfield starting to boss the play, Max Hawkins was a typical work horse ( surely a thoroubred I hear you say. ) at winning the ball with Chesney and Chester supporting with their trademark skillful interplay.
On 30 minutes West Essex attempted an attack and lost the ball J Chester was quick to split the defense by sliding a neat ball through to Chesney who bore down on the keeper and neatly tucked it past him for 0-1.
Cam Ward was next to make his mark as he held off the attentions of a defender whilst running at pace into the box left side and did well to get a touch on the ball before it got away from him and send it rolling in at the right post 0-2. The Heath work rate and intensity was paying dividends as West Essex lost the ball again from the relentless pressure such that the typically tenacious Charlie Green latched on to the ball before setting himself to strike a fine low shot in for 0-3. It was Charlie Green who then turned provider when receiving the ball on the left edge of the box by turning sharply and chipping a deft ball across to Cam Ward lurking around the penalty spot where he executed diving header to glance the ball in for 0-4.
Goals were coming thick and fast as a ball then rebounded off the keeper with Harry Hazel there to bang it in for 0-5 I’m then caught out scribbling away furiously as another one goes in, maybe the best goal yet as it was worked forward with a switch of play and fluid movement making it 0-6 at half time.


As the second half began rolling substitutes were put into play featuring J Newman, R Jones and young Joe Hart in place of Ward Chesney and Green.


West Essex continued to battle away and started the second half brightly, they saw more of the ball and found themselves in and around the Heath box for a spell but offering only a mild threat it has to be said. Heath had also, unsurprisingly taken their foot off the gas but on 54 minutes Chester saved a Heath punted ball out of defence from going into touch to find himself on the edge of the West Essex box doing a couple of step overs before feeding the ball through to Ryan Jones in the box who beat the keeper at his near post for 0-7.
The game had been won in the first half and West Essex were now a subdued side with Heath purring along unperturbed playing a fluid game with some lovely touches, it was a joy to watch. Max Hawkins having been rested for a while came on and promptly put a ball out wide for Charlie green to cut the ball across the face of goal where Ryan Jones stole in at the far post to slot the ball in for 0-8.
All in all it was a fine display of football from each and every player, I always consider a MOTM and after speaking to players It was clear that no one was particularly standout and the team performed admirably well as a whole.