Tiptree Jobserve 2 - 4 Tiptree Heath FC

October 21, 2017 - 2:00 pm at Florence Park, Grange Road, Tiptree, Essex CO5 0UH


SQUAD : P Hawkins L Thurston C Briggs T Turner R Speller J Tollhurst J Chesney J Chester J Newman J Hart H Hazel C Green R Jones

Tiptree Derby Day turned out to be a great event, 125 people turned out for the occasion and they were served up a game that will live in their memory for many a year it has to be said.
Tiptree Heath showed their good footballing ability in the first half and if the game was viewed as a boxing match Heath would have won the first round well ahead on points, however for want of trying their efforts were not rewarded with a goal in the first half.
It was Heath who quickly found their rhythm and initially restricted Jobserve to their own half. If they weren’t probing the Jobserve defence for cracks they were quick to turn defence into attack, Jack Tollhurst being an example by skillfully running with the ball from within his own half and into midfield then switching the field of play and ending with a Heath attempt on goal.
A forceful wind played its own part in the contest, Jobserve took advantage of the wind with various attempts on goal at one point hitting the crossbar with a speculative effort. Then on 35 minutes a Jobserve free kick( left side of the Heath box ) was well delivered into the box needing a nod in, the wind caught it creating a devilish curl and it flew into the top right corner for 1-0 to Jobserve. Heath though continued with to create chances from good interplay and Jobserve were left at times picking up the scraps. As the half wore on Jobserve would get the ball forward and were in danger of snatching another goal with forward balls and attempts on goal worth a try with the wind in their favour. However it remained 1-0 and Heath went to the changing room feeling hard done by with a goal coming against the run of play.
At the restart It was clear that the goal was playing on the minds of this young Heath team and it could be fair to say that their heads dropped a little as a result. So it was Jobserve’s turn to gain the upper hand this half. They worked hard to get to the ball first and disrupt Heaths play. It worked and Jobserve enjoyed a good degree of possession, they showed their experience and the introduction of Dean Harvey saw them worry the Heath backline further by supplying him with ball to feet or balls to chase which he did in tireless fashion to then doggedly hold up the ball or hustle and bustle the Heath defence to fashion an attempt on goal.
Heath kept battling though and hit the crossbar from a free kick but on 72 minutes Jobserve were rewarded with another goal as a Jobserve player showed his strength holding off a challenge whilst driving into the box tight on the goal line to then deliver a low ball across the six yard box where it was deflected then tucked in for 2-0.
As play resumed and the minutes ticked by it was staring to look like the Heath were not going to recover from two goals down, but it has to be said that Tiptree Heath never say die, they kept on and on and with 4 minutes left suddenly it became 2-1. A ball was driven in to the box 18 yards out and got deflected and fell to Harry Hazel in the six yard box to tuck away for 2-1.
All of a sudden there was hope, Heath were buoyed and reinvigorated and 3 minutes later the resultant surge of adrenaline saw a wicked early cross in from the right wing, the ball pinged off a melee of players only for Max Hawkins to get the decisive touch to tuck it away for 2-2.
Out of nowhere Heath had drawn level and found themselves back in contention with all to play for. The first half of extra time began in earnest and now the complexion of the game had changed entirely with Heath now champing at the bit again taking the game to Jobserve.
Whilst some people inexplicably were intent on going home at this point beaten by the insatiable gusting cold wind the football on pitch had markedly raised in temperature itself. I for one was going no where and was ready to watch the outcome of this enthralling match with the rest of the hardy football fans at pitchside.
Both teams were now at each other’s throats, Heath made a goal line clearance, Then responded by hitting the post from a corner. As the first half of extra time ended my boxing scorecard now had Heath ahead on points again, their new found belief and heart had them back in their stride for sure.
Heath were pressuring Jobserve, their fitness it’s fair to say was coming to the fore. A Heath corner was whipped in at pace and a near post header by Harry Hazel glanced the ball into the goal making it 2-3.
The players were in raptures and a roar went up as Heath found themselves ahead for the first time in the game. Jobserve were on the ropes and it felt like only one team were in it now. Then not long after as the game became stretched it was Harry Hazel again who found himself alone in front of goal with only the keeper to beat having been presented with a ball crossed in from the right wing. It bounced on the edge of the box and as the keeper came out to challenge Harry he Cooly waited for the ball to come down to then execute a deft lob over the keeper having been caught out in no mans land.
The whistle went and it ended 2 – 4, the roar went up from a large part of the crowd, players and supporters went delirious, I did my own jig of celebration as the Heath players and management team descended into a mob of drunken delight at what was a truly fantastic end to a great Tiptree Derby.
Commiserations to the Jobserve team for a gallant effort and we wish them well in Division one and other competitions.

Jamie Chesney epitomized the Tiptree Heath attitude and work ethic he gets MOTM. He ran his socks off never gave up with another typical influential display. His performances are always of a high standard, Joe Chester and Max Hawkins were inspiring whilst Jack Tollhurst brought his own class to fore Charlie Briggs made crucial tackles, Charlie Green was a persistent workaholic for the team and all the other squad members played their part in what was a truly memorable contest between two local Tiptree Teams.

(Reece Speller and John Newman) knitted in well with their fresh legs when introduced late on.
I felt the lads were disheartened on being a goal down at half time allowing their heads to go down. They were wrong to do that as I felt that their first half display was excellent and although a goal went against the run of play that’s football. I had every confidence they would go out and play exactly the same way in the second half as they did in the first half and that nothing required changing had they gone out with the same fire in their belly for the second half happy with their efforts they could have saved me and many others less stress.  I will put that down to petulance of youth.  LOL.