Mersea Island 1 - 6 Tiptree Heath FC

October 28, 2017 - 3:00 pm at The Glebe, CO5 8RP

For official Border League match reports, please click here.


SQUAD : P Hawkins C Briggs L Thurston R Speller T Turner J Tollhurst J Newman M Hawkins
J Chester J Chesney H Hazel R Jones C Turner



Heath started brightly with the Captain (Jamie Chesney) leading by example making several probing runs forward.It quickly became apparent that Mersea’s game plan was to foul their way through out the game thus denying Heath any sort of rhythm to their game.
However it was Chesney whose efforts were rewarded as he rounded the keeper from a tight angle for 0-1. Mersea continued to spoil the game with dangerous tackles ( poor refereeing ) and as a result they managed a couple of chances on goal, one such speculative effort wrong footed Paddy Hawkins and went in for 1-1.
A tactical change saw Joe Chester go left wing and the versatile Jack Tollhurst play up front. The effect was immediate with J Tollhurst producing a fine finish one on one with the keeper 1-2.
The word given at half time was to play the ball shorter and switch play using the width to out wit a Mersea team intent on putting 10 men behind the ball.
Having taken this on board Heath took control of the second half playing a more typical passing game, they kept the ball for longer periods resulting in a succession of goals. Mersea heads dropped whilst bad tackles continued with several yellow cards finally being shown to Mersea.
Ryan Jones came on 55 minutes in replacing J Newman and showed pace and guille giving the Mersea defense a headache. Toby Turner at right back is making himself a name with excellent assured defensive displays whilst getting forward when possible and was unlucky not to score.
Charlie Turner was next to to shine. Having come on in the second half he duly scored a decent goal.
With the final score ending 1-6, goals were from Chester 2, Chesney 2 and C Turner 1.


There are teams that do not have the quality at hand to challenge a good team as are Tiptree Heath and have nothing to offer other than poor challenges and game spoiling. Unfortunately Heath received their first ever red card (two yellows, one pulling a player back, the other kicking the ball away) at the end of the game. The management saw this as rather ironic given the amount of back tackles by Mersea, however frustration may well have played its part but it should be seen as a lesson to be learned in not allowing the opposition to ‘get at you’.

Match details courtesy of Ian Dobbins and Charlie Chester