Colne Engaine 4 - 1 Tiptree Heath FC

November 26, 2016 - 2:00 pm

Colne Engaine V Tiptree  Heath FC



MANAGER : Steve Chester , COACH : Ian Dobbins


SQUAD : Alex Moor Kameron Dock Charlie Abrehart-Briggs Connor Brumpton John Newman Jamie Chesney Joe Chester Dan Waring Ryan Jones Reece Speller Steve Chester Sean Dobbins

Jack Tolhurst



It was inevitable and today was the day that the Heath lost to what was a noticeably much improved Colne Engaine side to the one that we thumped earlier in the season 8-1 , they were quicker faster stronger and had a potent attacking front line with a good midfield that won possession more often than not .

We did get a penalty on 15 seconds! Yes seconds not minutes as Jack Tolhurst was brought down from a clumsy challenge where the Colne supporters and the like were quick to berate the ref for giving it (though it was a right decision) with foul language and much abuse which they shamelessly dished out throughout the game . The referee was in fact rather inept to say the least and was in my opinion very much the shrinking violet as opposed to a more imposing figure that might have controlled the game.

Anyhow Jack Tolhurst dispatched a cool pen to make it 0-1 and the next 10 minutes saw Heath looking untroubled and beginning to play some fluid football early on and creating chances.

The lead was short lived though as Colne broke with a run on the left wing and crossed the ball in to the box where an onrushing Colne player, though closely marshalled by Kameron Dock managed to get the touch required to steer the ball into the right corner for 1-1 on 15 minutes.

Colne played out from the back where they could and from a goal kick it was played short so that Jack Tolhurst gained possession to break into the box and fire off a left footed effort that hit the side netting.

Colne then had another swift foray forward again and made it 2-1. 21 minutes in and Colne are deep in our half on the right side of our box and Kameron Dock was battling well and the ball needed putting in to touch but it fell loose and Colne were quick to gain possession and get into the box and cross the ball in where opposing players contested the ball in the six yard area but it was Colne who stole a touch to steal it over the line in the six yard box to make it 3-1.

Our fortunes had now changed from the typical self assured side early on to now being under the cosh and struggling to cope with the Colne threat. No’s 7,9 and 10 were causing us a lot of problems with their quick feet and pace let alone the rest of the side which played with zest and determination . We did have our fair share of possession and played some good neat football with Jamie Chesney and Joe Chester being industrious and energetic as ever and every player tried their best as only they could .We created chances in the final third but play would break down too often be it from a misplaced pass or more to the point us trying too hard to force the game and rushing ourselves.

The half time debrief was to keep our heads up, don’t allow them to play out from goal kicks, get forward as a team but to also get back and defend . Dobbo articulated that 4-1 down is the inspiration required to up our game and to relish the fight back and to show character.

At the re start Heath did react well , they battled hard in defending and trying to win the ball and play their brand of football . We were able to get into the box on occasion such as when Jack Tolhurst received the ball wide left of midfield and burst into the box at pace and was nearly into touch, close to the left upright, with the goalie vying for the ball, but Jacks out stretched foot allowed him to slot the ball across goal only for a Colne defender to claim the ball but effectively pass it straight back to the keeper for the ref to deem it a back pass and we got the resultant free kick 2 yards out slightly left of the upright . A Colne wall of about 4 were on the line and unfortunately it wasn’t to be as they did the job of blocking Joe Chesters shot. We then had two resultant corners thereafter though with no end result. Jack Tolhurst won us a throw in by pressing the Colne goal kicks, we managed a cross in from the left and the ball found a Heath player square in front of the goal on the 18 yard line, he had to volley it first time but wasn’t able to get his boot over it and it sailed high over the crossbar. Charlie Chester came on for the last 5 minutes and John Newman came off.

Effectively the second half was a draw and the score remained the same 4-1 and as the final whistle blew I felt that we were out of sorts today in that too many passes went astray and play broke down too often. As a spectator I have seen a good footballing side play damned good football from week to week so to fall short one week is to be expected. No excuses will be made and let’s hope this will be a shot in the arm for us to bounce back to winning ways. Charlie and Dobbo are of the same mindset themselves. It’s done, we put it behind us. I say good effort for the team that turned up and well done for making a go of it and reacting in the second half .Thank you to Alex Moor for stepping in as a stand in goalie.