Belle Vue Social 2 - 3 Tiptree Heath FC

September 24, 2016 - 3:00 pm

BELLE VUE SOCIAL FC:                     2.

TIPTREE HEATH FC:                 3.


Date:   Saturday 24th September 2016.       Venue: Mile End Recreation Ground, Colchester


A dip back into Division Three this week as with two new teams in opposition to each other it was a chance to access the quality of these new clubs, Belle Vue Social FC have stepped up from the Colchester & East Essex Football League, Premier Division whilst Tiptree Heath FC have reformed after several seasons in the wilderness!


Belle Vue Social FC had beaten Holland FC “A” in their opening fixture, lost to Division One, Hedinghams United FC in the KO Cup and lost narrowly to Bures United FC last weekend whereas Tiptree Heath FC are already looking set to be title contenders with three league victories, scoring thirty goals in those games and a surprise but merited KO Cup victory over Premier Division, Cinque Port FC having been two goals behind at the break. Despite these statistics, I was however, expecting a close encounter.


On a bright sunny and windy afternoon the match official for this Division Three game was local referee, Lewis Farthing, who oversaw the “Respect” handshake on the tight but partially enclosed pitch at Mile End. Now for anybody who has not been to this venue recently the old road entrance is now closed as with the housing development continuing at a fair pace the entrance is now via Sophy Way and once round the houses you will find the old lane and a sign to say “Mile End Recreation Ground”, it is still a narrow lane and has some acute speed bumps along the way!


Tiptree Heath kicked off and were quickly awarded an early free-kick which Chester (J) took with Belle Vue clearing allowing Ennew to set a move going, getting the ball to Thorndike who laid the ball wide to Henry whose cross was collected by Greenwood. A break by the visitors followed with Greenwood throwing out to Lamb and his cross-field pass found Chester (J) who was fouled as he attempted to control the ball. On six minutes Ward flicked the ball up and over defender Hazlewood, ran round his back but Hazlewood recovered quickly to put in a big block, conceding a corner in the process. From the corner Martyr headed off his own goal-line after keeper Eles had fumbled the initial cross under pressure from Tolhurst and Speller and as play broke again Weir found Thorndike and then Ennew who had got round the back of the Tiptree Heath defence, fortunately defender Speller was on hand to clear. As the game continued to be competitive, Hazlewood was spoken too by the referee, after committing a foul, Ward took the free-kick but his drifting effort did just that, drifting just wide of the far upright.

A hefty challenge by Nunn (S) on Tolhurst saw the ball break to Ennew who used both feet to guide the ball past a defender before crossing with Tolhurst opting to conceded a corner, taken by Ennew. A flicked header followed with the ball being cleared off the goal-line for a throw-in, taken long by Martyr and Belle Vue kept up the pressure with Henry and Nunn (J) linking up to cross towards Ennew who was caught off-side despite a fine save from Greenwood. Hawkins and Nunn (S) clashed inside the centre-circle and it was evident that the wind had strengthened with Belle Vue keeper Eles struggling to reach the half-way line with his goal-kicks. Weir for Belle Vue broke clear and keeper Greenwood forced him wide with his attempt at goal hitting the side netting. When Nunn (S) pushed Ward to the ground he was duly cautioned, Scillitoe took the kick, Eles parried the low shot, then recovered to smother the ball just as Chester (J) arrived but he was flagged for off-side from the initial shot.

This game was ebbing and flowing nicely with both teams seemingly evenly matched, Scillitoe sent a long ball forward to Ward who lobbed the ball wide then keeper Eles was awfully close to collecting another long ball forward with his hands, outside the penalty area, a tight call but not a decision a club linesman would have given! On thirty-five minutes Tiptree Heath opened the scoring with Ward running clear despite calls for off-side from the home team and after drawing the keeper CAMERON WARD slotted the ball home. Tiptree Heath kept up the pressure working the ball through wide areas and midfield to Jones, whose first time shot, flew straight to the keeper. Another slick move saw Ward caught off-side, his pace is crucial for a long ball game but Tiptree Heath use the ball efficiently all over the park. Hazlewood fouled Scillitoe and with no advantage being gained the referee brought play back with the free-kick defended well on the edge of his penalty area by Nunn (J). Ward had another shot blocked by Martyr, Weir was caught offside at the other end with a final shot from Speller forcing keeper Eles to save at the near post and the entertaining first half came to a close.


HALF-TIME:       0 – 1


Belle Vue made an immediate change at the second half restart replacing Martyr with Sainsbury and within a minute his team had drawn level when Thorndike found DAVID WEIR who drifted past two defenders before curling the ball round another defender for his team’s equaliser. Two minutes later and the home team took the lead, Weir was found running at the retreating defence but his goal bound effort was scooped past his own keeper by the unfortunate JACK TOLHURST. Weir sent in another cross which Ennew headed into the net only to be flagged off-side and Thorndike, who was injured in setting up the first goal, limped off to be replaced by Woods. Quinney felt the full force of the ball in his face with the referee rightly halting play despite a clear break through by Weir.

Tiptree Heath were looking to get back into this game, those two early conceded second half goals were not exactly against the run of playas the visitors still looked sharp going forward. A sweet move out of defence by Lamb led to the ball falling to Ward who with his back to goal, turned and fired just wide and when a break by Chester (J) followed, his momentum took him past Hazlewood to send in a good cross which Lewis headed clear. Woods was straight into action chasing a through ball but lobbing over the keeper and the goal, at the other end Jones found Chesney whose decent cross saw an attempted scissor kick by Scillitoe, who missed the ball completely.

With one hour elapsed Belle Vue had been under a constant attack by Tiptree Heath but reacted to seize the ball back with Weir finding Ennew and when the ball was laid back Weir shot over the cross-bar from a decent position. Chesney was fouled, an advantage was played an Chester (J) forced a corner, this was followed by a quick throw-in from Weir to Woods who turned to run goalwards with Brumpton stopping his progress. Another home move involving Nunn (S) and Ennew saw Tolhurst clear for a throw-in and Lewis pushed the ball forward to Weir  who headed on to skip down the left wing only to shoot straight at Greenwood. At the other end Ward was fouled by Sainsbury, Chester (J) took the free-kick hitting the defensive wall with the ball bouncing clear into space where Chesney lashed the ball straight to keeper, Eles, should really have done better from that range.

With twenty minutes remaining, Tiptree Heath did not deserve to be behind but Belle Vue had taken their chances and like the visitors had created enough chances without scoring, it’s that final pass syndrome I mention every week. However, we did not have long to wait for the next goal, Ward raced away down the left wing and when he crossed the ball fell invitingly at the feet of RYAN JONES who side-footed home from six yards to bring the scores level with fifteen minutes to play. Tiptree continued their push forward after the equaliser and with gaps appearing it was Ennew who ran through from his own half but with only the keeper to beat he stopped, dwelt on the ball and the chance disappeared. Hazlewood, who had already been spoken too about earlier challenges, was cautioned for a foul on the elusive Ward who like his opposite number Weir, were the best outlets, for their respective teams.

Ennew and Weir continued to create for Belle Vue with Quinney covering his defence. A break by Sainsbury saw his curling effort rebound off the right hand post and back into the arms of Greenwood, and a surging break from Scillitoe ended with a foul by Lewis just outside the penalty area, taken by Chester (J) to Chesney whose shot was blocked. This game was still very open, both teams were on the attack but it was Tiptree Heath who scored, after good approach work down the left side the ball was worked into the space occupied by JAMIE CHESNEY who rifled the ball home from close range. With seven minutes remaining Speller fouled Weir just beyond the far corner of the penalty area, Weir stepped up to strike the free-kick over the defensive wall hitting the inside of the far post to rebound into the path of Woods who missed the open goal from four yards out, so close! Tiptree Heath replaced Ward with Newman and Belle Vue had one last chance from a thirty yard free-kick.


FULL TIME:        2 – 3


This was, in my opinion a cracking game of football, two new teams to the E&SBFL, both had unknown qualities before the start but throughout the game, which ebbed and flowed both ways, they showed enough quality and they will, on this showing be a credit to the E&SBFL so keep it up for the rest of the season.


My usual Man of the Match selection, despite useful contributions from Henry., Nunn (J)., Ennew and Quinney for the home team and Lamb., Chester and Scillitoe for the visitors ended up being a choice between the two number ten’s, Weir for Belle Vue Social FC and Ward for Tiptree Heath FC. Both players scored a goal and had plenty of other chances and assists in their teams pattern of play but to judge one to be better than the other would seem unfair.





Colours: Blue & White Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

Kane Eles., Michael Lewis., Wesley Henry., Joe Nunn., Shaun Hazlewood (C)., Ryan Martyr., Jamie Ennew., Jack Thorndike., Sam Nunn., David Weir., Ben Quinney.


Manager:                      Daniel Gasson-Davies

Used Substitutes:          Will Sainsbury., Daniel Woods.

Unused Substitutes:      Jim Mitchell., Daniel Gasson-Davies.




Colours:            Green & Black Shirts, Black Shorts & Black Socks

Lee Greenwood., Connor Brumpton., Michael Lamb (C)., Jack Tolhurst., Reece Speller., Max Hawkins., Joe Chester., Jamie Chesney., Ryan Jones., Cameron Ward., Ryan Scillitoe.


Manager:                      Steven Chester

Used Substitutes:          John Newman.

Unused Substitutes:      Costa Olymbious, Steven Chester.



Referee:                       Lewis Farthing               (West Bergholt)


Man of the Match: